Awards and Honors:
- Project: "Sediment Pollution Assessment and Verification of Abandoned Developments Using Volunteered Geographic Information in a Web Mapping Interface" was selected as the Southeast Representative in the National Institutes for Water Resources (NIWR) national Impact Award competition. There were six other regional projects.
SSSA Soil and Water Management and Conservation (Div. S-6) Graduate Student Award, 2010 (Newsletter
Press and News Releases:
Clemson researchers launch website to identify abandoned residential construction sites. By Peter Kent. Published March 29, 2011.
Clemson University Newsroom (Link
Clemson tracks abandoned construction.
Published March 29, 2011. GSA Business (The Business Journal for Greenville, Spartanburg & Anderson, Link
Public can report abandoned construction sites that pose pollution risk. By Anna Simon. Published March 30, 2011. Greenville News.
Werts, J., Mikhailova, E.A., Post, C.J., and J. Sharp. 2010. Sediment pollution assessment of abandoned developments using remote sensing and GIS. In Annual meetings abstracts [CD-ROM]. ASA, CSSA, and SSSA Annual Meeting in Long Beach, CA. October 31-November 3.
2) Werts, J., Mikhailova, E.A., Post, C.J., and J. Sharp. 2010. Sediment pollution assessment of abandoned developments using remote sensing and GIS. S.C. Water Resources Conference: Science and Policy Challenges for a Sustainable Future, Columbia, SC. October 13-14. 3) Mikhailova, E.A., Moore, K., McFadden, J., and J. Werts. 2010. Agricultural Service Laboratory based learning in soil science education. Fifth Annual Focus on Creative Inquiry (FoCI) Forum, Clemson University. April 12. Abstract publication p. 20. 4) Werts J.D., Mikhailova, E.A., and G. Ring. 2009. Introductory Soil Science Artifact for Student ePortfolios. GSA-ASA-CSSA-SSSA-GCAGS-HGS Joint Annual Meeting in Pittsburgh, PA. November 1-5.
1) Werts, J.D. 2011. GIS and Web technologies for assessing sediment pollution from abandoned developments. MS Thesis, Clemson University, SC.
2) Werts, J.D., Mikhailova, E.A., Post, C.J., and J.L. Sharp. 2012. An integrated webGIS framework for volunteered geographic information and social media in soil and water conservation. Environ. Manage. 49(4):816-832.
3) Werts, J.D., Mikhailova, E.A., Post, C.J., and J.L. Sharp. 2013. Sediment pollution assessment of abandoned residential developments using remote sensing and GIS. Pedosphere 23(1):39-47.
4) Mikhailova, E., Werts, J., Post, C., and G. Ring. 2014. Incorporating a soil science artifact into a university ePortfolio assessment tool. Nat. Sci. Educ. 43:1-6.