Course description: Examination of soils, landform, and vegetation as basic components of ecological land classification. Emphasis is placed on factors and processes of soil as an interacting component with landform and vegetation. Required laboratory emphasizes practical field application in Piedmont with emphasis on research methodology.
- Basic properties of forest soils;
- Soil-forming processes in forest environments;
- Classification of forest soils;
- Management of soils in forest environments;
- Plant and microbial life in forest soils;
- Forest soils and environmental issues.
Course is based on lectures, laboraotory excercises, and field work.